It’s over for John Cena and Nikki Bella. The couple released a joint statement on Sunday, April 15, revealing they’ve decided to call off their engagement and split after six years together.
“While this decision was a difficult one, we continue to have a great deal of love and respect for one another,” the couple told Us Weekly in a statement. “We ask that you respect our privacy during this time in our lives.”
The wrestler-turned-actor, 40, proposed to the pro wrestler, 34, one year ago at Wrestlemania 33. The two have been dating since 2012 and documented their romance on hit E! reality show Total Bellas.
“Hardship, loss, and humility are extremely difficult waters to navigate, but perseverance thru them builds a strength to withstand anything life throws your way,” John tweeted on Monday, April 16, seemingly referring to the news.
The Blockers actor previously gushed about his romance with Nikki during an interview with On Air With Ryan in December.
Hardship, loss, and humility are extremely difficult waters to navigate, but perseverance thru them builds a strength to withstand anything life throws your way.— John Cena (@JohnCena) April 16, 2018
“It was everything I would have ever wanted,” he gushed to us of their proposal. “It was asking the woman I can’t live without to spend the rest of my life with me and it was in front of my [WWE] family.”
According to reports, the duo were at odds over having children. During a 2013 episode of Total Bellas, Niki admitted she wanted kids, while John told her at the time “I’m going to choose my words carefully, I can’t give you that.”
Nikki later told People magazine that she’d be fine if they didn’t. “Would I hope John would one day want kids? One hundred percent,” she said last December. “But I have come to that decision to being okay with it, that I won’t be a mom. I will be the greatest aunt ever.”