The scariest thing happened to me this morning. Around 7am I was woken up by the sounds of glass shattering. At the time I was currently in a deep sleep, so when I heard the loud noise I didn't know what it was. It sounded like gunshots and I didn't know where it was coming from. My cat had ran down the stairs and I screamed for my boyfriend who was down stairs. He ran upstairs just as confused as I was as to what the noise was and what caused it. He looked in the bathroom to find that our glass shower door had shattered and was now in pieces on the floor.
I think you can imagine our shock considering that no one was even near the shower when it seemingly exploded. What caused it to explode? Was there an earthquake? What would have happened if one of us was in the bathroom at the time?
Our first reaction was to go on google and find out if this had happened to anyone else. There hadn't been an earthquake in Burbank, nor were any of our animals around the shower to cause this damage, so what could it be?
After some research it seems that this has happened to other homeowners. It is a very rare incident and only a few hundred Americans experience it each year, but it isn't impossible. According to The Spruce, the majority of cases happen over night waking up the residents, which is similar to my situation.
There are many theories as to what the cause of this is. Some speculate that it could be temperature change, wear and tear, perhaps the glass was off the track, or maybe it started as a small crack and finally gave way.
If you have a shower that has tempered glass as doors, here are some things you can do to prevent this nightmare from happening to you. According to Rooms to Rooms, you can avoid glass explosion by always gently shutting the shower door while its on the track. And always avoid striking it or slamming it to the edge.