Have you ever wondered how some of your favorite bands got their name?! I know I have! 🙋🏼
So, here's 12 bands and the stories behind their names...
1. DNCE - The band name is a play on the word “dance,” despite being pronounced like an acronym. JinJoo said, "DNCE is dance without an A, which is not a perfect word, but you don't have to be a perfect dancer to dance in life. Sometimes it is never perfect, but you can still enjoy life.” (Source: InStyle)
2. IMAGINE DRAGONS - The band members have said the name is an anagram, but they’ve refused to reveal of what words it’s comprised. Dan Reynolds said, “We haven’t even told our families. We just thought it would be cool to keep something to ourselves, because you’re always exposing yourself as an artist.” (Source: Radio.com)
3. 5SOS - Calum Hood said, "The name came from... I remember, like, we were in science class when we were probably 15 and just writing a bunch of names on a piece of paper. We weren't paying any attention to anything the teacher was saying. Michael texted us — he was like, 'How 'bout the name 5 Seconds of Summer? And we were like, 'Yeah, alright, that's fun…’ When you're in a band in school, you never really think it's going to amount to much." (Source: 60 Minutes)
4. MAROON 5 - Adam Levine said, "The origin of the name is so bad. It's such a horrendous story that we decided that shrouding it in mystery will make it a better story than the actual story." (Source: David Letterman)
5. THE CHAINSMOKERS - Andrew revealed, "Honestly, we never thought it was all going to be this big. Alex used to smoke, seemed clever and the domains were open hahaha... we do love it...but no baby formula advertisements for us sadly cause of it." (Source: Reddit)
6. SPICE GIRLS - Geri Halliwell came up with the name during an aerobics class because the girls were “all really different.” (Source: Spice Girls website)
7. MIGOS - The rap trio’s name is a shortening of the Spanish word “amigos” for “friends.” (Source: Elite Daily)
8. FIFTH HARMONY - "When the ladies of Fifth Harmony first teamed up on The X Factor, they were known as LYLAS, an acronym for “love you like a sister.” But that was already the name of a girl group comprised of Bruno Mars’s sisters, so the new group’s name was changed to 1432, text speak for “I love you too.” Judges Simon Cowell, Britney Spears, and L.A. Reid all hated the name, so a vote was put to the public, which chose “Fifth Harmony” for the girls’ five-part harmonies." (Source: The Hollywood Reporter)
9. NSYNC - You can thank Justin Timberlake’s mom for the name. “The first time we sang together, she goes, ‘Man, you guys sound really in sync,’” Timberlake told Larry King. “And we were like, ding, ding, ding.”
10. BTS - The K-pop group’s name is an acronym for Bangtan Sonyeondan, which translates roughly to “Bulletproof Boy Scouts.” However, last summer the boys announced that the letters now also stand for the slogan, “Beyond the Scene."
11. WHY DON’T WE - “We were all super excited about starting the group and were like, ‘Well, why don't we do it?!’” member Corbyn Besson told the website Sweety High of the boy band’s name. “I think it just stuck because it applies to so many spontaneous situations we've experienced as a band.”
12. 98 DEGREES - “Everybody put their two cents in [and came up with] 98 Degrees, which is our body temperature in Fahrenheit,” Drew Lachey told Lime magazine, according to the book 98 Degrees and Getting Hotter.