Florida School Bus Evacuated Over The Smell Of Too Much Axe Body Spray

Cans of Axe body spray, made by Hindustan Unilever Ltd., sit

Cans of Axe body spray, made by Hindustan Unilever Ltd., sit

A school bus with 30 students from Buffalo Creek Middle School in Manatee County, Florida, had to be evacuated after a student emptied an entire can of Axe Body Spray into the air.

The smell was so noxious that the bus driver stopped at an intersection and called 911. Firefighters dressed in full gear arrived and evacuated the students from the bus while they tried to determine the source of the smell.

Once they determined it was not coming from the bus, they began speaking to students and were able to sniff out the culprit.

"Once I got down the line, I was able to determine it,'' Parrish Fire District Division Chief Mike Williamson told TODAY. "Before I could even tell (one student) what I was looking for, I made a motion like I was spraying, and he handed me an empty bottle of the black Axe Body Spray. I could smell it all over him."

None of the students required hospitalization, but about a dozen students complained about having mild respiratory irritation and were checked out by paramedics as a precaution. Officials believe one of the students emptied the can as a prank and are reviewing surveillance footage from the bus as part of their investigation.

A second bus was called the scene, and the students were transported to a nearby high school where their parents could pick them up.

"On a serious note, this was a very good total collaboration of an emergency response between the fire department, EMS, the sheriff's office and the school board,'' Williamson said. "I never say I've seen it all because the minute I say that, something else has to top it."

Photo: Getty Images