If you have "bone treats" in your shelves throw them out because the FDA received about 68 reports of pet illnesses and approximately 15 deaths. These treats are processed and packaged for sale as dog treats they are described as "Ham Bones", "Pork Femur Bones", "Rib Bones" and "Smokey Knuckle Bones".
So please be careful cause giving your dog bone treats might lead to an unexpected trip to the vet and that can get expensive. Illnesses reported to FDA by owners and veterinarians in dogs that have eaten bone treats have included the following:
- Gastrointestinal obstruction (blockage in the digestive tract)
- Choking- Cuts and wounds in the mouth or on the tonsils
- Bleeding from the rectum